Sunday, March 24, 2013

Differentiation

If I were to give differentiation a very basic definition, It would be this: differentiation is a technique that a teacher would use to make sure all their students learn and process information effectively- AT THE SAME TIME. I mean...what else matters when you're a teacher? Those kids aren't in the classroom to make friends or eat snacks. That's what joining a soccer team is for. Kids learning effectively means your teaching effectively! And differentiation is the key to unlock that door for all the kids at the same time.

 Differentiation brings out the hidden potential in all the kids. I see it as a way to keep the more able and ready students engaged and moving forward while at the same time taking those students who might normally be constantly behind up to a whole new level. And from what I have seen, it makes the class room exciting. Of all the differentiated classrooms that I have seen, this one exemplifies how exciting differentiation can be.


Now from a personal experience point of view...I have none. I don't honestly remember any differentiation going on in any of my classrooms. At my high school I remember all of my classrooms were front facing and boring. In my years there I had one teacher in my senior year take extra interest in my learning, but the class room was not in any way differentiated. And the atmosphere, like all of my other classes, was sink or swim. And the teacher would try his best to answer questions and work with students but there was no breakdown of different levels. You either passed or failed. Sad huh? But anyways...differentiation, in my opinion, is the way to go!

1 comment:

  1. I think school is an important part of a child's social and emotional development. Not all kids are awarded the opportunity to be involved in an extra curricular activity and school is the only environment where they have time to interact with peers.
    Differentiation can also be applied to help a child who struggles socially or emotionally. I don't think we should separate the two.

    ReplyDelete