Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Learning to Unlearn

Learning is necessary only if we want to grow. I don't know about you but I want to grow. Not only do I want to grow, but I want to excel! In this light, I have realized that I have some unlearning to do for growth to take place. And I never really thought about needing to unlearn something in order to learn something. In order for me to grow as an educator I have to unlearn the concept that I have that I can't learn that much from people over the net as I can from people in person. I'm seeing that this may just be reversed. I have always kind of been against social networking in general, but the idea of connected learning is something that I can't ignore! As much as I need it to grow, my future students will need it just as much if not more than I do.

I see that some challenges on this journey of learning to unlearn is just in the realizing that there are things that I think or do that aren't effective and need to change. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that that stings a little. But that's the cost of learning. To leave things behind that don't promote the future-even when it hurts to leave them behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment